Automatic Polarimeter | AUTOPOL® III
The AUTOPOL® III Automatic Polarimeter is Rudolph’s two wavelength Pharmaceutical and Research grade Automatic Digital Polarimeter. The Autopol®III offers Dual Wavelengths and accuracy similar to Rudolph’s more advanced models, but with a simplified interface. Just place your cell in the sample chamber, press the Start Key and get 5 results in less than 25 seconds. It’s that easy.
- Accuracy 0.002° Arc up to 1°, 0.2% above 1°, 0.01° Z(ISS)
- 589nm and 546nm wavelengths. (A total of 2-4 wavelengths may be ordered initially or as needed)
- Complete Accessory Package with IQOQPQ documentation, 2 non-Temptrol® sample cells, selected by the user or for Autopol III-T, 1 Temptrol® 100 mm cell, and 1 NIST traceable calibration standard with a NIST certificate.
- Built in thermoprobe for temperature measurement.
- Temperature Probe is covered with a micron thick glass coating to stand up to high molar Hydrochloric Acids. It is used by some pharmaceutical labs.
- Windows Embedded for direct connection to the network server and flexible USB Printing.
- TempTrol™ Automatic Electronic Heating & Cooling 15° – 40°C ±0.2°
- 405nm, 436nm, and 578nm, wavelengths. (A total of 2-4 wavelengths may be ordered initially or as needed)
- AP Accuracy Option: 0.002° up to 10° Arc
- AP Resolution Option: 0.01, 0.001°, 0.0001° Arc Selectable.
|Measuring Mode||Optical Rotation Specific Rotation Specific Rotation Plus Concentration User Defined Scale Sugar Degrees °Z(ISS)|
|Measuring Scale||Degrees Arc Optical Rotation|
|Resolution||0.001° Arc Optical Rotation 0.001% Concentration 0.001 Specific Rotation|
|Accuracy||0.002° Arc up to 1° 0.2% above 1° 0.0 1° Z (ISS)|
|AP Acccuracy Option||Accuracy ±0.002° up to 10° ±0.004° 10° – 89 ° Arc Optical Rotation|
|AP Resolution Option||AP Selectable Resolution: 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001° Arc|
|Reproducibility||0.002° Arc Optical Rotation|
|Measuring Range||± 89° Arc Optical Rotation ± 999.99° Arc Specific Rotation 0-99.9% Concentration|
|Prism||Glan Thompson Calcite|
|Optical Wavelengths||589nm 546nm Optional Wavelengths 365nm, 405nm, 436nm, 578nm.|
|Wavelength Selection||Touchscreen Selectable: 2 standard, 4 Optional|
|21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Software||Yes with optional PC Software|
|Temperature Control||By external water bath (Standard) TempTrol™ Automatic Electronic Heating & Cooling 15° – 40°C ±0.2° C (Optional)|
|Temp. Probe Measurement Range||10° – 100°C|
|Temp. Probe Measurement Accuracy||±0.1°C|
|Measurement Time||5 measurements in less than 25 seconds (avg.)|
|Light Source||Tungsten-halogen 6V, 20W, avg. 2,000 hour life|
|Optional Light Source||LED 20-30 mA 100,000 hr. avg. life|
|Sample Chamber||Accepts sample tubes up to 200mm|
|Data Storage||32 GB Non-removable Compact Flash|
|Communication Interface||3- USB Ports, 1-USB 3.0 2- RS232 serial ports, Ethernet Port for Network Communication|
|Calibration||Automatic calibration via touchscreen|
|Operating System||Windows Embedded|
|Display||8 inch Color, 800 x 600 pixel resolution with 400 nits of brightness.|
|Automatic Sensitivity Control||Measures samples with transmittance as low as 0.01% (up to O.D. 4.0)|
|Input Power||100 – 240 V, 50/60 Hz|
|Operating Dimensions||24.3″W x 12.7″H x 17″D, 617mm W x 323mm H x 432mm D|
|Shipping Dimensions||36″W x 19″H x 21″D 923mm W x 487mm H x 538mm D|
|Operating Weight||42 lbs. (19.05 kg)|
|Shipping Weight||72 lbs. (32.6 kg)|
|Calendar/Clock Functions||Battery-backed clock; time and date sent to computer & printer|
Why are high-quality
polarizing prisms important?
Rudolph manufactures its entry-level automatic polarimeter with the same high-quality optics as its more expensive instruments.
While other manufacturers in this price range use Polaroid Plastic Dichroic Sheet Polarizers, Rudolph does not. Instead, Rudolph uses the same high-quality Glan Thompson Calcite Polarizers used in its high-accuracy models.
Because prisms are two of the most critical optical components in the polarimeter. Polaroid prisms are made of a polymeric plastic where the molecules are stretched and oriented in a specific direction so as to linearly polarize light. These types of plastic sheet polarizers are very inexpensive ($50.00 USD) and are vulnerable to heat, warp over time, deteriorate from moisture, and also have greater light absorption than Calcite Polarizers.
In many cases, the plastic polarizers must be replaced in 3- 5 years. Glan Thompson Calcite Polarizers are comprised of a carbon crystalline structure similar to diamond and have excellent light transmission characteristics. The quality of these prisms is so good, Rudolph guarantees its prisms over the life of the sugar polarimeter.
Rudolph Research Analytical developed AutoFillTM, Patent No. 10,101,353, a simple and easy way to allow fast and reliable polarimeter cell loading. Polarimeter sample cells are filled without bubbles, using Rudolph proprietary BubbleInspectTM technology, sample vapors are contained, and cleaning and drying is automated. Manual cell handling, cleaning and loading is eliminated.
Operation is as simple as opening the AutoFillTM lid, pouring in your sample, closing the lid and pressing start. The sample will be advanced into the Polarimeter cell and stopped once full. The cell is now loaded and the measurement will automatically begin after BubbleInspectTM approves the measurement. When the measurement is complete the operator is prompted to open the AutoFillTM chamber and add a solvent. The AutoFillTM lid is closed and the solution is flushed through the cell to waste. Air drying will automatically begin and end. You are now ready for your next measurement.
- No need to inject samples with syringes. Samples are easily poured in the AutoFillTM sample well.
- Eliminate contact with acids and bases.
- Running air dry for the correct amount of time will fully dry the cell.
- Cleaning is made effortless.
- A perfect cell load is guaranteed every time with Rudolph’s exclusive Optical Rotation Homogeneity Inspection Solution.
- Sample is easily poured into the large AutoFillTM well.
- All wetted parts are made to stand up against the most aggressive samples including 6 Molar HCl.
- All Materials are Teflon, Peek, and Kalrez®
- You may choose to clean with a single solvent or a combination of solvents
AutoFillTM Option is now available on the Autopol I, II, and III. Sample Inspect with sample integrity verification is included standard on the Autopol I, II, and III, and BubbleInspectTM Technology is available on the Autopol V Plus and Autopol VI.
1. Temperature Measurement Only
The Autopol I, II, and III come with a Temperature Probe so that sample temperature can be measured, displayed, and printed.
However, if your product requires Temperature control, then we recommend a temperature control solution shown below. For university education and research, starch analysis, invert sugar, flavors, and fragrances temperature control is not required, and temperature measurement is normally sufficient for these applications.
2. Temperature Control With a Water Bath
Rudolph Research Analytical jacketed cells come standard with
quick release fittings which allow cells to be easily removed from
the sample chamber.
Tubing is held in place by rubber gasketing on top of the trough
and the door. Optional stopper (choose “S” after the cell part no.)
for evaporative samples.
Temperature control is obtained through the use of an external water bath and a jacketed cell. This temperature control solution is popular for very high-temperature applications.
3. Patented TempTrol™ Technology Eliminates the Need for a Water Bath. Here’s how the TempTrol™ System works:
TempTrolTM heating and cooling Peltier transfer surface.
TempTrolTM cell with mating heating and cooling transfer surface.
Place the TempTrolTM cell in your TempTrolTM equipped Autopol® sample chamber to measure to within ±0.2°C of the USP, EP, JP or BP specified temperature
(normally 20°C or 25°C
Rudolph provides a temperature validation cell with every TempTrolTM system. The temperature validation cell along with an optional NIST traceable thermometer is designed to validate the temperature control performance of the polarimeter and cell
Many users prefer to load cells with samples outside of the Polarimeter. When this fits with your workflow, Rudolph has engineered a tool to assist you, the Rudolph Polarimeter FillStationTM. Designed to sit on your laboratory bench or under your fume hood and assist you in loading your Rudolph Polarimeter cell easily and reliably, the FillStationTM holds the cell at the right angle, so you always fill the cell from bottom to top. Using a syringe, you inject the sample until it begins to appear at the top port. Once filled, the monitoring light will become bright, and you know you have a full cell free of air bubbles that is ready for measurement. Cap, the Top Cell Port, remove the syringe, cap the Lower Port and go!
- The cell is held at the right angle and filled from the bottom just the way Rudolph cells were designed to be filled. Perfect every time.
- Filling from the bottom to top moves any air with the potential to cause a bubble up and out of the cell.
- Once you see the monitoring light go to bright there is no question that the cell is properly filled.
- Verification of air free sample loading for even inexperienced operators.
- Helps eliminate contact with acids, bases, or any sample the user does not want to come in contact with.
- Less experienced operators can learn to reliably fill cells with minimal training.